Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Friday, February 12, 2010

Discipleship 101

2 Timothy 2:2) "and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also."

One thing I have noticed in my early journey as a young pastor is the need for discipleship. When I say discipleship, I do not mean another class where we buy more LifeWay material. Discipleship is more than a class it is a life style.
The word disciple is found some 268 times in the scriptures. The Greek word (mathetes) has the meaning of a learner, a pupil, or a disciple. What I see in our churches are not learners or pupils after Christ. We have been programed to come and do our religious duty on Sunday morning and say we have been discipled. Wrong!!! In the Great Commission, Jesus tells His disciples, "to go and make disciples and then baptize them, and then teach them to obey."
I have failed miserably when it comes to disciplining. My heart is for the church to see her need for a heart felt passion in learning after Christ. I realize one must be converted and be drawn by the Holy Spirit to have the desire to learn after Christ. Often I thought if we just had another class for discipleship or another study on discipleship this would answer the question. We can have all the classes one can have but if a person has not "been born from above" (John 3:3) by the Holy Spirit it is all worthless. They will be trying in their own strength, which will only last for a little while.
One item I have learned from the scriptures, Jesus did not disciple the multitude, he discipled the twelve. He poured himself into twelve men who were faithful to go and to teach others. This is what the Lord's churches need today.
"Discipleship is about time more than anything else. How much time did Jesus spend with His disciples?" As born again Christians we must invest time with those God has entrusted us with. Think about it, how much time do we invest into others for the advancement of God's Kingdom and to strengthen His church? I believe this is where real discipleship begins. I pray the Lord will allow me to invest time into others that they will be able to instruct others, for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment