Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"Sir, we wish to see Jesus"

John 12:21 So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus."

     My very first seminary class I attended was held at an extension center at First Baptist Church, Athens, AL. The class was on the book of 1 John. Sadly, academic learning was never my strong point. But, I knew God had called me to preach and I was encouraged to prepare myself to do that very thing (which I still am doing). It was in this class (1 John) I had an opportunity to step behind the pulpit at First Baptist Athens to give a presentation to our class. I remember stepping behind the pulpit and noticing two things I had never seen on any other pulpit. The first was a clock (I guess for the preacher to know when to stop) and the other was these words engraved, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus."Those words have stuck with me until this day.
    On Friday our semi-annual bible conference called "Getting the Gospel Right" will begin. As I meditated on this text in John's gospel, I can say with the proselyte Greeks, "Sir, we want to see Jesus." Although these Greeks wanted to meet Jesus face to face, in person, and bodily form our revelation of Christ comes through His Word and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. Nevertheless, as we have been praying for the last few months, weeks, and now days our desire must be "Sir, we want to see Jesus."Our desire is to see him revealed in His Word, for our good and for His glory in His church.
     The men preaching this weekend will have the task to present Christ in his splendor, majesty, and glory in the finished work of the cross. Their job will not be easy. This is why we have been praying for these men, as they prepare their messages, as they serve their own congregations and as they travel. Our speakers have the task to present Christ and him crucified to those who have experienced the saving grace of God, but also to those who have not experienced God's grace in salvation.
     God's people at PHBC are not looking for a quick fix to a better life now, but rather to be encouraged, to sharpened, and given a greater understanding in the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is good for Christians to be reminded of Christ's substitutionary atonement, how Christ paid a debt we could never could pay, which satisfied the Holy wrath of God. It is good to be reminded that none of our good works (Rom.3:10) could ever please God, for they are filthy garments (Isa.64:6). The Father was pleased to crush his Son (Isa.53:10), which was God's divine satisfaction for His Holy law to be fulfilled.  I enjoy to sing the hymn, Rock of Ages, the one verse which states, "nothing in my hand I bring simply to thy cross I cling." This is our only hope and it is found in the finished work of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. May God give us this burden for living gospel centered lives and to share this glorious news to those without Christ.
     As we make final preparation for the bible conference, may our hearts be in tuned with these Greeks who sought after Christ. May we too say, "Sir, we would see Jesus" and may these men of God faithfully present Christ and him crucified (1 Cor.2:2) . This is our prayer. Sola De Gloria! 

For more information click here: http://www.pleasanthillonline.org/2012-bible-conference-2

No comments:

Post a Comment