Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Seeing Christ In the O.T."

Exodus 3:13-14) "Then Moses said to God, "Behold I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, 'The god of your fathers has sent me to you.' Now they may say to me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ' I AM has sent me to you.'

Some time ago the Lord placed in my heart a desire to write maybe a book or a treatise on seeing Christ in the O.T. After a semester of Old Testament survey in seminary I become very intrigued by the O.T. As I read and studied the books of the O.T. the Lord began to show me that Jesus was in and throughout the entire O.T. One person has said, "the O.T. was a thumbprint of Christ." It was not until about four years ago I began to see the significance of the O.T. and seeing the print of Christ throughout.
I believe you can not understand the New Testament apart from the Old Testament. I have made it my endeavor to study and digest as much of the O.T. as possible, all the while looking for Christ in the texts. I know some theologians who say Christ can be found in all the passages of the O.T., it is hard for me to press Him (Jesus) into every verse of scripture. Nonetheless, it is important for God's people to read and study the O.T. with their "eye" looking for Christ.
Just for example, in the book of Genesis you have the first claim to the gospel of Jesus Christ when God tells the serpent, "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed (Jesus); He (Jesus) shall bruise you on the head, And you (Satan) shall bruise Him on the heel." A picture of the overcoming of Satan by the Lord Jesus Christ. I think of Noah and the Ark when God spared Noah and his family as they where found in the Ark. The Ark representing the Lord Jesus Christ. For all who are found in Christ will be spared, just as they were in Noah's day.
Well, that is just a couple of examples. I believe it allows us the blessing of seeing Christ in the O.T. There are several more in which I plan on sharing in the future. I know several of my theologian friends who may find this elementary but I believe it could help some of God's people in reading the O.T. So, my plan is to go completely through the O.T. and pull out clear pictures of the Lord Jesus Christ, through theophanies and typologies. I pray it would be a benefit to someone. If nothing else it would encourage God's people to read their Bibles, in particularly the O.T. I encourage you as you read the O.T. have Jesus Christ in your lens for that is what it points to! Happy reading...

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. In recent days I've seen more and more of Christ in the OT. By understanding the OT, you read the new in 3D. I hope you have huge joys in doing this. And tweet some of your findings! Jim Elliff, www.CCWtoday.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim for your encouragement it means alot!

    ReplyDelete