Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Truly Thankful"

Eph.5:20, "giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ..." (ESV)
This morning I was overcome with joy and a heavy burden as I prepared my sermon for this Sunday. I have been lead to preach a series of messages on the "Atonement of Jesus Christ" from the Old Testament through the New Testament. Beginning perhaps in Genesis, with God covering Adam and Eve with a skin from a slain animal to Christ on the cross bleeding and dying. I want our people to see how precious the atonement is and to get real close and personal with the pure hell Christ went through and not to forget it!
I have been meditating for a couple of days on exactly how to introduce the "Atonement of Christ." Well, I thought it would be good to know why we stood in need of an atonement. In other words, was the death of Christ necessary? As I pondered in the scriptures the Lord lead me to His Sermon on the Mount. Here Jesus instructs His disciples on how the Law was misinterpreted in Matthew 5:20-48 by the religious Pharisees. Jesus says, "you have heard it said...but I tell you." Wow! What Holy Spirit conviction.
I was brought to tears sitting in my office studying. Jesus gives 6 illustrations of why the Law can not save nor will it ever save a lost soul. I was overwhelmed of my sinfulness before a holy God who demands perfection because He is perfect. There is not an excuse nor does God lower His standards due to my sin. God broke me about self-righteousness as he does all His children. As I was studying, I was caught back when I thought I was good enough and I had done enough to please a holy God. Matter of fact I thought it was my right for God to accept me, what self-righteousness and pride. Which by the way God hates (Proverbs 8:13).
I was reminded how often we think we have all of this Christianity figured out, when in fact we are so blind. God reminded me again today, I am not accepted by Him through my own merits. I am accepted by a Holy God through the sacrifice Jesus Christ made on my behalf...he was my "penal substitutionary atonement." I rejoice Christ died in my stead...where I should have been nailed to the cross for my sins...there He stood condemned for me...and I say...Hallelujah, what a Savior! That is what makes me "Truly Thankful."
So this Thanksgiving season, be reminded to give thanks for the most important gift..."that Jesus died for our sins in accordance to the scriptures and he was buried and he rose the third day in accordance with the scripture" (1 Cor15:3-4).

No comments:

Post a Comment