Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Looking Across the Aisle at 36,000 Feet"

     I am writing this morning's post from Cagyan De Oro, Philippines. I am here on a mission trip for training pastors with Revival or Ruin ministries. I have traveled through several different time zone, have been in 3 different countries, and 4 different planes in arriving safely to the Philippines. I will be here for a little over 2 weeks, which is not very long, unless you have a wife and children you have left behind. After two weeks I will board the plane to travel 'back in time' to get back home. But, one thing will be different on my trip back home, I will travel alone. I will leave the ones (Barry and Ty Carpenter) I traveled with here in the Philippines to serve these people.
     As we were flying here from Detroit, MI to Nagyora, Japan I sat across the aisle from Barry and his son thinking to myself how could he do this? How or why would a man up and sell everything he ever owned to minister to a group of pastors, so they would be more effective in the kingdom of God. I know this is not new or uncommon when it comes to missionaries and the call on their life, but I guess what takes me aback is the fact God has told him to go and has gone! No mission board to support him, no fringe benefits, but simply living on the fact God has called him to minister to the Filipino's and trusting God to provide through other Christian.
He and his son are here now, in another country, 9,000 miles from home, in a culture which is very different from America in every way, yet they are here!
 
What I saw as I was "Gazing Across the Aisle at 36,000 Feet":
1. I saw a man after "God's own heart." Like King David (1 Sam.13:13-14), I see Barry seeking to glorify his Father by pursuing God's heart, which is His people. Our God is a missionary God, one who "seeks to save that which is lost" and I believe this is the very heart of Barry. To send the gospel to the ends of the earth for the glory of God.

2. I saw a man who loves his son (Ty). I sat there and watch Barry converse with his son, I watched the both of them sleep on the plane (which is difficult to do) and Ty lay his head on his father's shoulder. I simply saw a man who seeks after God's glory, but also a father who truly lives out Ephesians 4:4.

3. I saw a man who is "sold out for the Lord." In Luke 18:22, Jesus tells the young rich ruler to sell all his possessions and follow him. You know the story, he went away sorrowful because he had many possessions to give up and follow Christ. In other words, he loved his many possessions  more than he did Christ. Although, God has called Barry to sell everything in order to relocate in the Philippines, I appreciate what he said in his last sermon at PHBC, "God does not always call everyone to sell everything to move to the Philippines, but He does call all of us to either go down into the well (move to Philippines), or to hold the rope (support the move) either way you are going to get "rope burned."

Barry and Ty are now in the Philippines for at least two years, with perhaps a furlough sometime next year. The Lord is using Barry already and I believe is using the Philippines for means of sanctification in many ways to Barry (Barry you know what I mean).
At any rate I write this not to lift Barry up, rather to life our Savior up. I think about how God in Christ calls dead, damned, and depraved sinners to  Himself, saves them by the gospel of His grace, gives them a new life (1 Cor. 5:17) and gives them marching orders. This is exactly what God has done in each and every believers life. If you claim the name of Christ, He has saved you not just to miss hell, but rather to "die to yourself, take up your cross and follow Christ. Daily!
For those of you without Christ, do not think Barry, myself, or any other Christian as one who has it all together. For we are nothing more than fallen men who has has been called to a new life through the power of God in Christ, who are needy of God's grace everyday of our lives. Do you see your need for God's grace in salvation? Call out to him and be ye saved.

I encourage you to pray for Barry and Ty as they minster in the Philippines, for God's glory! Blessings in Christ.

(This blog post was started in the Philippines, but completed at home in the U.S.A., just so there is no confusion)!

No comments:

Post a Comment