Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"The Gospel Centered Pastor and His Life"

1 Timothy 4:16 "Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by doing so you will save both yourself and your hearers."

                     
    (Pictured is Dr. Barry Carpenter and pastors of Bible Expsitors Seminary at last years Pastor's Conference. The pastors are shown holding their tablets which PHBC and others contributed to receive lectures and books to read on them.)  
    Less than two weeks I will be boarding the plane to Caygan De Oro, Philippines with Barry and Ty Carpenter. My assignment for this trip is teaching Pastoral Ministry in a Pastor's Conference in connection with Bible Expositors Seminary. Although, I think "who is sufficient for such things?" I am reminded of my professor of Pastoral Ministry, Dr. John Killian  at (New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary), who reminded us pastors that "the servant or minister of the gospel needs to be found faithful." Thus, my reason for accepting such a tall task for teaching other men, I simply want to be found faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
     As the weeks narrow down to days, I am by God's grace writing and putting together lectures that I will have the privilege of giving these brothers in a 3 day Pastor's Conference. Dr. Andy Weisner of New Life Baptist Church in Harvest, AL will be teaching in the conference as well. He will be teaching these men in the area of Biblical Counseling. The pastors who attend this conference are already receiving instruction via Bible Expositors Seminary (long distance education), but this will be a way to give them face to face instruction. This will also allow them to interact with the us and to ask much needed questions concerning the ministry.
     Although, Dr. Weisner and I will be there only for a couple of weeks, Barry and his son Ty has been led of the Lord to move there permanently (at least for two years). God has given Barry an open door of opportunity to minister and help these pastors in the Philippines with solid doctrine and to help then learn how this doctrine works itself out practically. As we know our theology is what drives our methodology in our everyday life pastors and the local church. Barry will stay there to help these pastors continue their education and to disciple them in evangelism, prayer, discipleship, and other spiritual disciplines. When I think of what is going to take place there for the next couple of years, I think of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:30-31, as the eunuch was reading the prophet Isaiah, Philip comes up upon him and asks, "Do you understand what you are reading? And he said, "how can I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip in the chariot to sit with him." This is exactly what Barry will be doing, helping these men to better understand their calling as pastors and to strengthen the local churches where they serve. God has given Barry a desire to go and help these brothers learn more of the glories of Christ, therefore selling all that he owns to go these men.
You can read more of his calling to the Philippines here: revivalorruin.blogspot.com/2013/03/80-poundsof-dung-reflections-on.html

     In saying all of that, I wanted to share with you the outline of my lectures I will give to the pastors in the Philippines on "The Gospel Centered Pastor And His Life."


The Gospel Centered Pastor and His Life

The Gospel-Centered Pastor
#1: The Pastor Who Knows and Understands the Gospel of Jesus Christ
#2: The Pastor Who Preaches the Gospel
#3: The Pastor Who Leads Out of Gospel Conviction
#4: The Pastor Who Suffers for the Sake of the Gospel

The Gospel-Centered Priorities of the Pastor:
#5: The Pastor and the Word of God 
#6: The Pastor and His Prayer Life
#7: The Pastor’s Heart in Shepherding Those Who Rebel
#8: The Pastor Who Is Found Faithful

I will close with asking you to pray. First, pray for God to be glorified in all that takes place in the Philippines. Second, please pray God would give me what I need in the next few weeks to finish these lectures and that they would be edifying to these pastors. Third, pray for my wife and 3 children as I will be gone from them across the world for over two weeks. Pray for their safety and well-being, asking God to protect them while I am gone. Fourth, pray for the flock at Pleasant Hill where I serve as pastor. Pray for the brethren who will lead, protect, and feed the sheep while I am away.
I thank you in advance for your prayers and support. 

If you feel lead to support Bro. Barry Carpenter as a missionary to the Philippines please send your support to: 
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
3049 Pleasant Hill Church Rd.
Orlinda, TN 37148 
(PHBC will given financial oversight and accountability)


1 comment: