Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"A Faithful Saint Until the End: Ford McNatt"

1 Corinthians 4:2 "Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy or faithful."

     The Apostle Paul reminds these saints in Corinth of the ministry of the Apostles. The Apostles and the saints at Corinth were to be "stewards." A person who had the duty and privilege of overseeing something which was not theirs. The Apostles also had been entrusted with the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ and were to declare it everywhere God sent them. Paul reminds these saints in the following verses that it did not matter who judged them, they (the Apostles, the Corinthians, and us) were to remain faithful to the end.
     The last 2 weeks has been somewhat of a challenge for our family. We traveled to northern Kentucky to spend a few days with a pastor friend and then headed to Alabama for the Christmas holidays. On our way home last Tuesday night from AL, I received a phone call from a deacon from the last church I pastored. He had called me to let me know one of the faithful saints of Jonesboro Baptist had went to be with the Lord and the family wanted to know if I would help with the funeral. Of course, I said, I would be honored to help in anyway.
     Rather than turning around we decided to come home and unpack from our time in Alabama and regroup. This also allowed me to make Wednesday night prayer meeting and gave me some time to think upon my time as Ford's pastor. I was honored to be able to serve him as his pastor for almost 4 years.
     As I reflected on those 4 years, I saw the grace of God and how he allowed me to minister to this family in some of the most difficult times. Yet, more times then they will ever know, it was not them recieving the blessing but it was me! God allowed me to serve this family during the loss of their dear mother Sister Rosie. I was blessed to have a job were I could go by and spend time with both of them, Rosie and Ford. Often before I would leave their home, Rosie and Ford both would not only want me to pray for them but then they would pray for me.
     Ford was such a blessing to sit and talk to. I will never forget the talks out on his front porch, about Braves baseball, his flowers, or events which took place at the church years ago. Ford was the kind of man, that when he would speak, you listened. He would always have a kind word and enjoyed talking about the Lord.
    Yes, Ford McNatt knew something about faithfulness. He was faithful to His Lord from a early age, as he professed Christ and walked with him for many years. He was faithful in serving Christ and His church unto the end of his life.  He was faithful to serve his country in WWII. After the war, he came home and went to work at Reynolds Metal Company for over 55 years. He was faithful to his wife for 59 years, being faithful unto the end. He was at her side as she slipped into eternity, he was faithful to his bride. The testimony of his children was heard at the grave side, of how he was a faithful father until the end. The Lord gave Ford a heart of faithfulness.
     I am thankful for the priviledge to minister to this family through some of their toughest times. The Lord has taught me much through the life of Ford McNatt. Reflecting on his life, I have seen how a man after God's own heart is truly a blessed man. I saw a man sacrificially love his wife and children as taught in the scriptures. I saw a man who by God's grace was used to bring Him honor and glory in a faithful life. Often people think it is the pastors job to do all the teaching, but often it is from God's faithful saints that we pastors learn from!
Thank you Ford McNatt for allowing God to use you to be a blessing to a young pastor and so many others!








No comments:

Post a Comment