Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Only If the Lord Wills"

James 4:14-15) "yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this of that."
     As I am "growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18)" I am reminded that God is Sovereign. That is, the God who created the heavens and the earth is in absolute control of every atom and molecule in the universe. There is not one thing which happens or does not happen which the God of the Bible is not ordering from His throne. Psalm 115:3 says, "Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases." This is a great comfort for one whose faith is in God the Father through His Son Jesus Christ.
     I received a phone call last night letting me know a gentleman whom I had been disciplining in God's Word had passed away. This gentleman was unable to read or write but was a smart individual. He worked for 35 years with TVA, as a welder. He built his home with his own hands (which is beautiful) and raised a family with 5 children. He received news less than 2 months ago he had liver cancer and there was no hope for him, outside a miracle of God.
     Although this gentleman had no education and never attended church he told me "I remember my father-in-law reading the Bible to me and my wife after we were married." He told me, "he remembered there was something to what his father-in-law would read to him about a man named Jesus." He said, he always knew there was something greater than he was, who created him, gave him life and breath." He also admitted, "I never took the time to find out more about this man named Jesus." Therefore, he asked me to come and read God's Word with him until he died.
     I  have had the privilege for the last month to go to this gentleman's house and read the Bible with him and his family. I read numerous passages of scripture, quoted scriptures, and even wrote scriptures out. But, it wasn't until the last visit I had with him personally that he said, "preacher I believe I need to be baptized. " I asked, "what makes you think, that?" He said, "I've trusted in Jesus Christ." At that moment I could not help to think of Acts 8:26-40, "the Eunuch asked Phillip what prevents me from being baptized? Phillip said, do you believe with all your heart and he replied I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." You know often we want a spectacular event of emotions and other signs to accompany a confession of faith in Christ. Well, not here. He simply confessed that He had trusted in Christ and had a peace about dying he didn't have before.
     That afternoon was a glorious time, as I had one of our men from church with me. As we sat around the table there was at least 8 to 10 other family members gathered around the table listening to God's Word and the gospel of free grace. We made plans to baptize him the following Sunday, but he was unable to make it to the church house. He kept telling me, "if I don't make it to be baptize, I know that isn't what gets me to heaven, anyway!"
     I write this today because I had in my schedule to go and visit with him again. I looked forward to reading him God's Word and praying for him. I found out last night the Lord took him. I am reminded
it wasn't the Lord's will for me to visit with him today. The Bible reminds us, "the heart of man plans his ways, but the Lord establishes our steps (Prov.16:9)."
     I pray we as believers in Christ, would always be reminded our God rules and reigns not only in life or death but even in the salvation of sinners. I pray the Lord would be greatly exalted as I try and minister to a family in need of God's mercy and grace.



5 comments:

  1. Chad, I love this. I plan to use it, if you don't mind. We underestimate the power of reading the Bible with our friends. In January, our church is going to work together to read with friends and family members who are willing. We will each do our best to set this up for the glory of God. We'll just read once a week, try to answer questions if they arise... but if not, reading is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Jim! The Lord has been gracious and I often fail to see just the shear simplicity of reading His Word. I have at times fallen in the trap of doing and saying something. Rather, if we would just stick to the Word of God and let Him speak, that is what people need more than anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad, thanks so much for sharing. This is a great encouragement to continue on in this type of simple, yet powerful ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good word brother. I had the privilege several months back to be reading God's Word aloud to family as my grandmother passed from this life to the next. Praise God for the comfort of His word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chad. I wanted to thank you for sharing this with all of us. It gives me hope for my husband and child that is only 6 months old right now, but sinful at that. My husband isn't saved and it is hard at times to believe he ever will be because of how he acts on a day to day basis. This gave me hope that even though it may be some time from now, he could, simply by hearing the word, be saved through that. My mother and I plan on meeting once a week like Jim said and just read the word to him or with him if he is willing. Hopefully my son Samuel will be learning from what he hears as well and sees our example as christian's on how to follow after our Lord and savior.

    ReplyDelete