Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Friday, July 8, 2011

"Preaching Without Notes On Purpose" pt.1

About two months ago, one Lord's Day morning I entered the pulpit with everything but my sermon notes. Rather than make a scene and walk down to the front pew, I opened my bible and began to tell the people what God had said. I had studied the text throughout the week and by God's grace He brought back to my remembrance the things I had studied. As far as I know I did not make many mistakes (which I make using notes) or at least any heretical statements.
I have thought since then, how did Jesus, the Apostle Paul, and Peter preach to God's people? Did they use "sermon notes?" Please do not misunderstand me, I am NOT saying using notes is wrong. What I am wanting to share with you (especially preachers) is the freedom to look into your peoples eyes and teach them God's Word without using sermon notes. W.A. Criswell said, "Looking the man in the eye as you speak means that you are not staring at the wall or looking out a window or studying your shoelaces. If you are engaged in this, listeners are not sure where your remarks are directed. You are talking to your audience, so look at them.(Criswells Guidebook For Pastors, W.A. Criswell; p.51)"
So, this past week I intentionally studied with the intentions of NOT using any sermon notes so I could look my people in the eye. Totally reliant upon the Holy Spirit to lead and bring to remembrance the things I had studied throughout the week. It was some what horrifying at first. But as one pastor friend told me, "you just have to jump out of the plane and do it." It is amazing what the Lord gives you as you teach and preach His Word.
I am pretty sure my people where not blown away by my dynamic sermon outline. I am not sure if all my points were alliterated and my illustrations held their attention. I do know God has not called me to be master designer of sermons, but rather a faithful preacher of His word.I have discovered preaching is not really difficult at all. It is simply taking a portion of God's Word meditating upon it, explain it in its historical and grammatical context to the people, illustrate it from other scriptures in the bible or from real life experiences, and apply to God's people every day lives for practical application. I felt after my sermon from Joshua 6:15-27, that God used me to feed His sheep and tell His people the point of the passage we studied.
Will I use notes again? I am sure I will. Am I saying your wrong if you do use notes? No, I am not! I just wanted to share with you my experience this past week, one which I felt was liberating for me. By the way here are a few men who did not use sermon notes when they preached, Harry Ironside, T.W. Robertson, Charles Spurgeon, and George Whitfield. Here are a few men who memorized their sermons, Billy Sunday, Alexander Maclaren, J. Vernon McGee, and Dwight L. Moody. Here are some me who used sermon manuscripts, Phillip Brooks, Jonathon Edwards, and John Henry Jowett.
As you can see there is no certain way one should and can preach. God has used all different men who all used different approaches in preaching His Word. But I will close with another quote from W.A. Criswell, "the man of God is far more effective in the pulpit if he preaches with a Bible in his hand without taking along his study notes."
Do you agree or disagree? Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Chad. Well said and so important. For many of us preaching without notes is a great step forward in communication. BTW, more recent study has revealed that Edwards preached at least extemporaneously, using a very short outline after he had manuscripted his sermon. Dr. Jim Ehrhard has done some extensive work on this. I like this apostolic approach to preaching. Lots of meditation and knowledge of the text, and lots of liberty and directness with the people. You are on the right track. Spoken by one who has preached for many years, this discovery will be appreciated by you and others many years later. We should all be praying, "Lord, please come and blow my notes out the window!"

    ReplyDelete