Pastor Chad's Itinarary

Saturday, May 20, 2017

"A Graduation Letter from Dad"


“A Graduation Letter from Dad”

Dear Chance,

            I am at a loss for words today. I know that is hard to believe, but it is the truth. As I have sat back and reflected on the past 18 years of your life, I can’t believe how fast they have come and gone. I remember growing up how fast I wanted to be an adult and being told, “don’t wish your days away.” Well, the last 18 years of my life has flown by me and they will begin to get faster for you, as well.

Brothers


            I have learned so much as your father. I have learned that I am not perfect. I have learned that there are things I deal with in my own life that I often fail to give to God, which causes me a great deal of frustration. I have learned that in many ways I see myself in you, except you are a much better kid than I was. God has used you to teach me so much about myself these last 18 years. I have learned I am still in need of constantly battling against my sinful flesh and stand in need of God’s free grace.

First and last season of football


            I know the past 12 years of school have come and gone quickly. You have learned a lot in life when it comes to an academic education. However, you are entering a new phase of life where if you do not constant learner you will be left behind. I promise I do not say that to scare you, but to encourage you. Never quit learning. The moment you quit learning, you quit growing, and the moment you quit growing, you begin dying. Life is difficult, yet very rewarding and the one who is willing to learn will be successful. Don’t’ merely “get through” life. Learn. Grow. Succeed.

            I guess that is what I want for all three of you boys. I want you to be successful in the Lord. I want you to dream, set goals, and go after it with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. God has gifted you in many ways, use them for His glory and your good. If you want to play college baseball do whatever it takes to get there. Don’t sit around and wonder what if I would have done this or that ten years from now. Do what you are passionate about, it doesn’t matter if you make $30,000 a year of $1,000,000 a year if you are not excited about your work you will live a miserable life.

Last Senior Football Game 2016

 
            Chance, the reality is this; Mom and Dad will always be your biggest supporters. However, you have to begin to make your own decisions and choices in life that you will have live with for the rest of your life and those choices begin now. They stem from where will you go to college? Where will you work? What degree will I pursue? Who will I date and marry one day? And it goes back to your giftedness and desires. Mom and dad can say you ought to go to school and be a coach and teacher. You have to make your own decision about how you will spend the rest of your life. Mom and dad can help guide you but you will have to ultimately make that decision.

Graduation May 2017

            There is so much more I could say. Yet, I will close with these few thoughts:

1.    Son, I love you. Since January 5, 1999, you have brought a constant source of pleasure and joy into my life. I know there have been times you have wondered if that is true or not. However, I have and will always love you and desire God’s best for you.
2.    Son, you make me proud. There is nothing I have done in my life that makes me prouder than you. You have been a blessing in being your dad. You have caused me so little heartache, except when you call meJ I always think something is wrong every since you wrecked your car.
3.    Son, you can do it. I believe if God places a desire in your heart you should seek after it. The psalmist says, “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4). You can do anything when you delight yourself in the Lord. He is for you, not against you. What is it you want to do in life? What desire and passion has God given you? Go after it with all your might.
4.    Son, you must be disciplined. To succeed in life, you must be disciplined. You must be disciplined to wake up and go about your day with passion. You must be discipline to use your time wisely. You must be discipline to go to work. You must be disciplined to work harder than anyone else. You must be disciplined to do the things no one else is doing and especially when no one else is watching.  Remember this, “Only one life ‘twill soon be past; Only what is done for Christ will last.” C.T. Studd.
5.    Son, you must love God. Remember, nothing else matters in life if you do not know and love God. You were created to worship and enjoy God forever. He longs for you to know, love, and worship. He has revealed Himself to us by His Word and Spirit. You can be successful in life and die and spend eternity in hell. The end of life is not having a large bank account, a nice car, or house, but did you know and live your life for the glory of God. So, you must love God through His Son Jesus Christ or nothing in life will truly satisfy you and you will live a life without meaning.

In closing, I am very excited for you and your future. I look forward to helping you succeed in life, as much as I can. I want you to know that I am always here for you and love you, son very much. May the riches blessings of the Lord be upon you for now and throughout all eternity.


I love you more….
DAD

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment